60 Hudson History
60 Hudson Street was formerly known as the Western Union Building. When it opened in 1930, the Western Union Building housed telephone, telegraph, and ticker machinery, as well as a messenger service and classrooms where Western Union messenger boys could continue high school. Nineteen tons of brick shade the lobby facade from deep red brown at the bottom to bright salmon at the top. The exquisite lobby is finished in brown brick, with recessed lighting and geometrically patterned brickwork, marble flooring, and high vaulted ceiling, exemplifying Art Deco materials and techniques.